Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Steadfast and Trees

1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

Texas is in the grips of an extreme drought. I've lived here most of my life and have never seen so many big oaks dying from drought.

And then there are the Mesquite trees. Can't get rid of the things. I have yet to see one of them in distress.

They are fire resistant, have long tap roots and wide spreading lateral roots. They have seed pods that are edible, thorns to protect from rooting animals, and their leaves are wax coated to prevent evaporation.

Hmm, much like Christians walking the Spirit-led life.

By definition, Christians are fire resistant. Think Meshach, Shadrach, and Abed-Nego. We too have our roots deep into the foundation of the Rock that will never be moved, tapping into springs of living water. And our fellowship with our Christian brothers and sisters is a wide spread net of safety. They multiply and take over the land.

Oaks are beautiful, but as for me - I want to be a Mesquite tree.

1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

1 comment: