Friday, September 2, 2011

Hot, Dry, and Tired of Being Nice

The earth, O LORD, is full of thy mercy: teach me thy statutes.Psalm 119:64

Ever feel that you've used up all your 'nice' and are ready to crack? Good news, the Lord has a fresh supply and is never lacking.

One day in the not so distant past, I needed to make my 90 year old Father-in-law something for lunch. My nice meter registered nada.

Stomping around in my mind and hiding in my office, I cracked ugly like the ground in my drought ridden land.

What did the Lord do? Did he strike me down? No.

In a soft voice, the Holy Spirit whispered to me. "You'll be feeding Jesus. Would you deny Jesus a lunch?"
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. Of course not.

He went on. "As much as you do to the least of these..."

TO my credit, I am not stupid. I got the message. And expanded it. When my nice tank is on E, I look past the people and see Jesus. He is everywhere. He is in my Father-in-law, my husband, my friends, the car that just pulled in front of me, the person who called to sell me something.

What a difference it makes. And the best thing, I don't have to rely on my supply of nice. I have the never-ending supply of the Goodness of God.
Like the parched land needs rain, I need the filling of the Holy Spirit. With His help, I won't crack, but remain pliable and rich in God's mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment